The IGLTA Foundation, in an effort to expand educational opportunities for students, businesses and destinations that have an interest in promoting LGBT tourism, is offering scholarships to attend IGLTA’s 30th Annual Global Convention in Chicago. This year’s Building Bridges Scholarship will offer all-expense paid trips for three hospitality/tourism students, one individual representing a small business, and one individual representing a destination or event. Scholarships include the cost of visas, flights, hotel, per diem, and conference attendance. See below for eligibility and application instructions.
- Participants will take part in an orientation and mentoring program on May 1, 2013.
- On May 2, 3, and 4, participants will attend the convention, including the IGLTA Foundation Volunteer Event on Saturday, May 4.
- To document and share their experience, each participant will complete a total of 5 video diary entries.
- On Sunday, May 5 participants will be free to visit Chicago.
For scholarship eligibility, applicants must identify as one of the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate student in a hospitality or travel related educational program, with an interest in hotel/restaurant management, tour operation, air travel management, etc.
- Owner/employee of a small business in the LGBT travel/tourism sector who is in the process of starting sustainability or community engagement initiatives.
- Representative of a destination or event dedicated to developing a LGBT following.
- Must be able to speak and write in English
- 18 years or older
- Eligible for travel to the United States (please refer to travel.state.gov and your local United States Embassy for visitor visa guidelines).
- Available to arrive in Chicago on April 30, 2013, and to stay through May 5, 2013.
- Write a 750 word essay OR submit a three to five minute long video on “How LGBT Travel can build bridges with communities worldwide”
- Include a CV/Resume
- Students are required to provide contact information for an academic reference
- Submit this information through our online application system before February 15, 2013.