The IGLTA Foundation is offering five scholarships to attend the 31st Annual Global Convention for the International Gay and Lesbian Travel Association in Madrid. Meet like-minded people working in the field of LGBT travel and tourism, network with businesses and make new friends.
This year’s program will provide all-expense paid trips to Madrid for three hospitality/tourism students, one individual representing a small business, and one individual representing a destination or event. Scholarships include the cost of visas, flights, hotel, per diem and conference attendance.
This year’s Building Bridges Scholarship participants will:
- Take part in an orientation and mentoring program on May 7, 2014
- Attend the 31st Annual IGLTA Convention May 8-10
- Spend Sunday, May 11, taking in the sights of Madrid
- Complete a series of video diaries, which will be shared on IGLTAFoundation.org.
Applications are due by March 19, 2014.
For scholarship eligibility, applicants must identify as one of the following:
- Undergraduate or graduate student in a hospitality or travel related educational program, with an interest in hotel/restaurant management, tour operation, air travel management, etc.
- Owner/employee of a small business in the LGBT travel/tourism sector who is in the process of starting sustainability or community engagement initiatives.
- Representative of a destination or event dedicated to developing a LGBT following.
- Must be able to speak and write in English
- 18 years or older
- Eligible for travel to Spain. Please refer to Spain.info (Practical Information/Travel Tips) or
your local Spanish Embassy for visitor visa guidelines.
- Available to arrive in Madrid on May 6, 2014, and to stay through May 11, 2014.
- Submit a no more than four minute video on “How LGBT travel can build bridges with communities worldwide”
- Include a CV/Resume
- Students are required to provide contact information for an academic reference
- Submit this information through our online application system before March 14, 2014.